LISTEN, LEARN, ACT, TEACH
We recognize that our members, our communities, and our nation as a whole are experiencing incredible pain, anguish, grief, and frustration. As part of the larger healthcare system, we too are facing the reality that there is still widespread oppression and an obvious divide in access to healthcare depending on the color of one's skin. The WANP recognizes that this has most disproportionately affected Black and Indigenous communities. We see this, we care about this, and we strive to become an active part of the solution.
We do not claim to be experts on anti-racism in any way. We are still learning. That said, we have compiled resources from our membership, our community, and leaders in diversity training, anti-racism, and social justice. We would like this to be a living document, and appreciate additional recommendations. If you have any recommendations that you would like to add, please do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We recognize that the Board of Directors of the WANP has not always appeared to embrace diversity and that that Black and Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), in particular, have been under-represented in our organization. We are committed to educating ourselves about diversity, equity, and inclusion, about implicit biases and the consequences of them, and about becoming an actively anti-racist Association. We strive for open dialogue and compassion to be at the center of our work together. We are also seeking more diversity on our board. LGBTQ+ individuals, women, people with disabilities, and POC are encouraged to join us.
- 1619 ~ The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/column/1619-project (audioseries)
- Code Switch ~ NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ (podcast)
- Fare of the Free Child: https://www.raisingfreepeople.com/podcast/ (podcast)
- Five Pandemic Parenting Lessons ~ Cindy Wang Brand: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/parenting-forward/id1403686245?i=1000474951309 (podcast episode)
- How Studying Privilege Systems Can Strengthen Compassion ~ Peggy McIntosh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BY9UEewHw (TEDxTimberlaneSchools)
- Intersectionality Matters! ~ Kimberle Crenshaw: https://aapf.org/podcast (podcast)
- Momentum: A Race Forward Podcast https://www.raceforward.org/ (podcast)
- Our National Conversation About Conversations About Race: https://www.showaboutrace.com/ (podcast)
- Pod for the Cause ~ Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights: https://civilrights.org/podforthecause/
- Pod Save the People ~ Crooked Media: Pod Save the People (podcast)
- Reproducing Racism ~ Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting: https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/reproducing-racism/ (audio episode)
- Seeing White: https://www.sceneonradio.org/seeing-white/ (podcast)
- Seeing White ~ John Biewen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-r-3W2Fkg (TedTalk)
- Serial: Season 3 ~ hosted by Sarah Koenig https://serialpodcast.org/ (podcast)
We will continue to update this information as more resources are submitted to us.
This list was inspired by many people (including but not limited to Jenna Arnold, Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein, David Cardenas, and Megan Ming Francis) and compiled by the WANP Board of Directors.
We are here to support you!