*Events listed are provided as a service to our members and should not be interpreted as an endorsement or recommendation by the WANP for any specific subject or content.
Naturopathic Evaluation Therapeutic Diets: Intermittent Fasting and the Ketogenic Diet
April 27 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Date: April 27th, 2019
Time: 9:00am – 5:00PM
Tamara Dickson ND
This course is for medical professionals who would like to better understand the therapeutic utility of intermittent fasting or ketogenic diets. We will review and compare the the biochemistry of ketone and and glucose metabolism and the potential therapeutic value to intermittent fasting and ketogenic diet for your patients. We will discuss research findings on which conditions benefit from IF/ketogenic diet, review the risks and contraindications, detail the appropriate medical monitoring through biometrics and laboratory testing, as well as how to instruct your patient on implementation these diets. Additionally, we will discuss exercise, weight loss, preservation of muscle mass and the proposed the influence of nutritional and botanical supplementation on IF and ketogenic diet outcomes.
- Review the metabolism and biochemistry of ketone production
- Discuss the researched and proposed health benefits of IF and ketogenic diet
- Discuss risks, monitoring blood tests and biometrics, and contraindications
- How to implement IF and ketogenic diet with your patients
- Review nutritional and botanical supports for patient safety, compliance and success
- Discuss safe exercise and preservation of muscle mass with IF and ketogenic diet
One hour lunch break – Bring a sack lunch or eat at area restaurants
Location: Bastyr University Health Clinic, 3670 Stone Way N. Seattle, WA room #12.